Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Samsung Omnia i910 phone


Two weeks ago I pick up a Samsung Omnia i910 on Verizon. The phone itself is pretty cool. It has a 5MP camera, a 400x240 touchscreen and Windows Mobile 6.1. The WinMo 6.1 is the only short coming, but cuz WinMo has been around for ever you can customize anything and everything. However customizing it, to get what you want out of it, is no easy task. There ends up being a lot of digging through forums and reading up on whats the best apps for the WinMo platform. I personally enjoy it but I wouldn't recommend it for anybody that doesn't enjoy tinkering.

One week after I got it Verizon released a new ROM for the phone which enabled free use of the on-board GPS, bug fixes and several other additions. Than a couple days after that I was on ppcgeeks.com and modaco.com looking at custom ROMs cooked up by various individuals. More than 8 ROMs later I think I've found my cook Bgill55. His ROMs strip out alot of unneeded stuff, add in several of the best apps WinMo has to offer and tweak the touch screen for better responsiveness. I'm currently running his WinMo 6.5 M2D release.

All in all I'm happy with my new tech toy. Only real complaint is the battery life, only lasts about a day under normal usage.

No comments: