Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Fraud

Today I woke up to a message from my Credit Card companies fraud department. I called the number on the back of my card, I always recommend calling the 1-800 number on the back of your card and not calling the the number the CC company leave in messages, just to assure that you are truly talking to someone at your CC company. There are reports of scammers calling card holders, posing as a CC company employee, in which they try to pull info out of you like SS# and CVS# to commit future identity theft or fraud.

Anyhow, I got through the automated service to find out there had been a $3,000 and an $8,000 charges made on my card to "Pollard Contractors IL". WTF!! $11,000... gezzus.. So I talk to an agent and she was very kind and helpful, though hard to understand(from India I'd guess) She said the charges would be credited back in the next couple of days and that I should keep an eye on my credit report. So everything got straightened out, but it still sucks. How does this happen? and Is this the end of the fraud? or Is there more to come? And that's whats sucks, not knowing how deep it goes. I had fraud committed against me once before almost a year ago which I also wrote about http://ericrosol.blogspot.com/2008/05/fraud.html About all one can do is watch your credit report and report any fraudulent activity. I also recommend checking into what kind of fraud protection your CC provides.

No comments: